Third Space learning
Third Space Learning (TSL) needed to improve customer retention by proving to schools that their online tutoring was having a positive impact on pupils. I was tasked with developing a report that showed this progress.
Through customer research, multiple design iterations and user testing, I developed a report that met the needs of multiple stakeholders and applied information design techniques to quickly turn information into actionable insights. These were instrumental in helping with the retention conversations.
Third Space Learning (TSL), an online tutoring startup, were unable to demonstrate the impact their service was having on pupils. As a result, schools found it difficult to justify the costs and were not retaining. I was tasked with creating a report that demonstrated impact and helped the customer team with retention conversations.
Demonstrating impact was challenging because we had no formal tests to give a before and after comparison. Without this data, I decided to create a customer survey to help gain insights into the different stakeholders reporting needs and current behaviour.
The following themes emerged from analysing the survey results:
Based on the insights from the survey and a content audit of potential data sources, I sketched a framework for the report and explored different ways of visually encoding the data to make it quick to understand at a glance. This involved stripping back anything that wasn't communicating data to a minimum so it's not distracting users as well as using the right visual encoding to match the data type.
I opened up Sketch to mockup the designs of the overview page and individual report page based on the paper sketches.
I took the design mockups and conducted user testing with the primary users of the report. The objective of this research was twofold:
1. Understand whether we are presenting the right content to meet the needs of our users and check that this is at the right level of granularity to provide actionable insights
2. Check the effectiveness of the information design–is it easy to interpret and pull out the actionable insights?
Through multiple design and user testing iterations, I was able to address the issues raised first focussing on displaying the right content and secondly ensuring it was easy to comprehend.
As well as refining the report, I added functionality to allow users to complete reporting related tasks as quickly as possible. This included filtering and ordering by Pupil Premium (a government grant given to schools to spend on improving outcomes for disadvantaged pupils) which allows SLT to quickly show Ofsted the progress of Pupil Premium children. I also designed download PDF functionality to allow teachers to download multiple individual reports for multiple children in one go.
To get feedback on how the reports were being received, I armed the customer team with some questions to ask when speaking to schools. This helped validate the need for some of the functionality that we weren't able to build in time as well as showed that it was meeting the needs of our users.
By understanding the needs of users and the data we had available, I designed a report that gave actionable insights to our schools to help them get the best out of the programme & allowed them to better understand the impact it was having. These reports helped the customer team when trying to retain existing schools and have become a key part of our pitch to new schools.